It’s been a long time.
Winter was a sort of interminable prison sentence this year, but spring is finally doing its slidy dance into the corners of the grass plots of Brooklyn. This month I don’t have any great back stories or epic inspirations, just an old cliché: the-best-of-something-or-other. So, this mix is the Best of White Gilt.
As a very few of you may know, my good friend Shay and I hold a sporadic dance party in Greenpoint called White Gilt, which was the name of our band, but then I turned 30 and we both got very career oriented. So, why not turn it into a DJ night, which is much more mature and serious-minded? This was, we both agreed, a Good Idea.
During the course of the evening, I often get a few people who ask what this or that track is, and it reminds me that I haven’t actually shared the bulk of my favorites that I play ‘out’, including a few remixes by us truly. Now, this is contrary to traditional DJing logic, which holds that if you have something good you white knuckle it until death’s bony hand pries it from your grip. However, I think that since I am not a ‘real’ DJ (meaning that I don’t have everything on vinyl and I don’t care if you want to ask me questions during the set, just don’t be creepy) I should share these in the hope that they will make others smile and shuffle their feet around a bit.
Most of these tracks lean towards minimal synth, electronica, or italo disco, since that is the focus of the night. It’s a somewhat dated genre in many ways, and though the eighties electro thing has been done and done to death, there’s something special about many of these dusty things. I’m still not sure what draws me to this particular aesthetic, save that it is snappy without being sugary, lonely without being maudlin, and dark without sinking into hyperbole. I think it’s fun. And I hope that you will, too.
Click here to play it all:
1. Games (White Gilt Reup mix) – Dying in Africa
2. Grauzone – Eisbär
3. Calling Hearts – Cosmology
4. Candide – Dreamers Never Talk
5. Martin Dupont – Just Because
6. Laugh Clown Laugh – Feel So Young
7. Tres – Operator
8. Young Things West – Trans-Europa
9. In Trance 95 – Brazilia
10. Eleven Pond – Watching Trees
11. Basic – Face In The Night
12. Nathalie – My Love Won’t Let You Down
13. The Electronic Circus – Direct Lines
14. Jessica Blue – The Dark Of Light
15. Tesla Boy – Neon Love
16. Q-Lazzarus – Goodbye Horses
17. Nicolas Makelberge – South America
18. Midnight Magic – Beam Me Up (Jacques Renault Remix)
19. White Gilt – You’ve Got the Assault